Biotechnology Innovations for Rural Development (BIRD)

Kerala Biotechnology Commission under the Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment invites research proposal under Biotechnology Innovations for Rural Development to conduct training or operate demonstration projects to promote rural innovation for developing Biotech based products and to promote/popularize the use of biotechnological process and tools for creating employment opportunities in rural areas.

Eligibility Criteria

University Departments/Colleges, Central and State R&D Institutions/Organizations, Academic Institutions, non-government organizations with proven track record and self-help groups can apply for conducting training programmes among rural people within the state. The trained groups can also submit proposals in collaboration with concerned NGO/Self-help group/R&D/Academic organization for entrepreneurship in the selected areas. Projects will be encouraged on activities encompassing biotechnology interventions, which have direct application to the society on self employment generation and entrepreneurship development to extend more benefits through training and demonstration.The NGO/Self- help groups submitting the proposal should meet the criteria put forwarded by KSCSTE.

Funding pattern

The total funding provided is upto maximum of Rs 5,00,000/- for a period of 6 months to a maximum of 12 months.  This would include manpower (Technical Assistant @ Rs 6000/pm), cost of minor equipment, travel, consumables&training materials, contingency . Once the project is sanctioned, partial financial assistance (80%) will be released to the PI and the remaining portion (20%) will be released only after the successful completion of the programme. Projects will be supported in various areas of Biotechnology like (a) Plant Tissue Culture (low cost) (b) Bio-pesticide Production (c) Bio-fertilizers (d) Mushroom cultivation (e) Pharmaceutical and Health Products (f) Solid Waste Recycling/Vermicomposting(g) Post-Harvest Technology (h) Algal Biotechnology (i) Biofuel and biogas (j) Fermented food processing( k) Natural fibre production with biotechnological interventions.
The Budget for the programme is revised as per following details:
1. Project cost for 6-12 months     5 lakhs
2. Need based infrastructure 5 lakhs (Depending on the programme for minor equipments, infrastructure creation upon scrutiny and recommendation by the Expert Committee)
3. Manpower & contingency support for extended period – 1 lakh (For supervision and contingency support after completion of the prescribed period for one year- need based, upon recommendation by the Expert Committee)

How to apply?

Applications should have the Endorsement from the Head of Institution/participating institutions and need to be  forwarded by the Head of the Institution. 7 copies of the proposals are  to be submitted in the given format available in the website of KBC/ along with a soft copy (CD) which may be addressed to The Advisor, Kerala Biotechnology Commission, Kerala State Council For Science, Technology and Environment, Sasthra Bhavan, Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram - 695004.

Last Date of Submission of Proposal is on or before 15 November, 2017



[MS-Word Format:]

          Norms for Submission of SE & UC as per KSCSTE Council(M)OrderNo.144/2017/KSCSTE dated 26-05.2017

More Details Contact

The Advisor
Kerala Bio-Technology Commission 
Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment (KSCSTE),
Sasthra Bhavan, Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram – 695 004
Telephone: (0471) 2548200 (PABX), 2548314 (D)
Fax: O471-2540085
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.